Foreign Legal Consultant
Mr. Arap has been active in Brazil and abroad since 1988. His practice encompasses a broad range of international business transactions, particularly those involving international players in Latin America, with particular focus on Projects, International M&A, Complex Disputes and Foreign Investments. He represents Brazilian investors outside of Brazil and international investors in Brazil and other parts of the globe.
Mr. Arap started his professional career as a litigator in the São Paulo-based law firm of Felsberg & Associates. After earning a Master of Comparative Jurisprudence degree at New York University School of Law in 1991, he returned to Brazil, where he worked as Associate General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer at Odebrecht Engineering & Construction, Enron South America and Brasil Telecom.
In 2006, he founded Arap, Nishi & Uyeda, a São Paulo-based boutique law firm with focuses on Infrastructure Project Development and Finance, Corporate and M&A, Real Estate, Tax Planning, Complex Contracts and Strategic Disputes. His clients include investors from the Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa and Oceania, and he represented clients in the so-called “Operation Car Wash” in Brazil and abroad.
Mr. Arap has significant experience representing foreign investors in Brazil. His practice includes joint ventures; advising clients on privatizations and international bid tenders; overseas business operations; and identifying and mitigating risks, including on FCPA and other international compliance issues, arbitration and ADR matters, as well as the enforcement of foreign awards and judgments in Brazil. Mr. Arap is often required to advise on complex disputes involving litigation and arbitration.
In September 2017, Mr. Arap moved to New York City with his family. He was admitted as a Foreign Legal Consultant in the State of New York in October 2022.
- Master of Comparative Jurisprudence (M.C.J.) with a focus in international business transactions between the U.S., China and Southeast Asian countries, New York University School of Law (1990-1991).
- Program of Instruction for Lawyers at Harvard Law School (1991).
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), Catholic University of São Paulo School of Law (1983-1987).
- Corporate and M&A; Foreign Investments; Risks Analysis; Governance and Compliance; Regulatory and Government Affairs; Complex Disputes; Strategic Contracts.
- Project Investments: Mining, Industrial Plants, Ports, Railroads, Toll-Roads, Airports, Water Treatment and Sewage, Energy, Oil and Gas, IT and Telecom.
Recognitions & Awards:
- Recognized as an outstanding professional in Brazil in Projects by Chambers Latin America since 2013.
- Recognized as an outstanding professional in Brazil in Projects by Chambers Global since 2014.
- Recognized as an outstanding professional in Brazil in Projects by Latin Lawyer 250 since 2014.
- Recognized in Public Law by the Legal 500 since 2013.
- Recognized as one of the best lawyers to work with for Energy and Projects in Latin America by LACCA – Latin American Corporate Counsel Association since 2016.
- Recognized as one of the best lawyers to work with for Corporate and M&A in Latin America by LACCA – Latin American Corporate Counsel Association since 2017.
Affiliations & Memberships:
- President of the Ethics Council of the Brazil National Olympic Committee (2018-2022, reelected through 2026).
- President of the Brazilian Rugby Federation (2010-2016); Chairman of the Advisory Board (2017-2020).
- Member of World Rugby’s South America region (2010-2016).
- Member of the International Commercial Law Alliance (ICLA).
- Board Member of the Brazilian Red Cross, State of São Paulo Chapter.
- Ethics, Governance and Audit Committee Member of Bonfarto Kaj Konservado (BKK), a venture builder in the Amazon region and Brazilian focused on sustainable production chains.
- Board Member of Cabral Gold Inc., a TSXV listed company focused on gold mining in the north of Brazil.
- Portuguese, English and Spanish.
- Italian (basic).